Skip to main content

Site-Specific Installation










          St. Augustine is a city rich with history. It was established on September 8th, 1565 with a mass held by Father Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales. I wanted to make a piece that commemorated this very important milestone in the history of St. Augustine by replicating an altar. There is a labirynth on campus that is perfect for showcasing the piece because of it's ritualistic undertones. I made a box and then burned the top in order to leave "traces" of what would have once been on the altar: candles, a bible, and a monstrance. I then stained the box to give it an aged feel. I'm extremely happy with the piece and how it relates to the space. The box sits perfectly in the center of the labirynth, highlighting its central importance to the concept of a mass celebration.



Research







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Printing in the Pandemic

BFA Progress: Week 13

          For this week, I re-photographed my littles beans and used Lightroom to tweak the lighting in most of them. I tried my best with help from my friend that has experience with it. I grouped them based on color and shape, as well as other characteristics.

Touch

    Stage 1: Clear Mindedness Stage 2: The Beginning Stage 3: Disillusionment          Touch, for me, has made a very big impact in my life. There has never been a defined line between pain and pleasure due to my past. When you feel as though you deserve the pain being inflicted upon you, it's likely that something isn't right. I've had to rediscover myself through the definition of touch because there are specific things that differentiate between "good" and "bad." As time has passed, I've learned what it means to be in pain, as well as being relieved of it.      When I was in the darkest part of my life, pain was something I felt I deserved. I had been forced into thinking that everything was my fault. I thought that he was demonstrating how much he cared whenever he put his hands on me. I didn't see it as a bad thing at the time -- just normal. Touch, at this time, was sharp; violent and difficult for me to wrap my head arou