Skip to main content

Read, Make, Discuss

 "The colors linger into the early winter, in the brown and orange leaves on the cottonwoods along the streams and irrigation ditches, in the strings of red chili on the fronts of houses, and in the groves of lemon yellow aspens far up in the mountains." - John Brinckerhoff Jackson, A Sense of Place, a Sense of Time, page 20





          We often associate the same few colors with Mexican heritage, such a yellow and red. I was heavily inspired by the use of color and adjectives used to describe pueblo architecture in the first few chapters. The linework beneath the painting itself is reminiscent of a map, much like the one found on page 35 that details the plan of a bonito pueblo. Beneath all of the colors that surround the structures is a foundation much like that of a blueprint. The work is reminiscent of a simpler time that didn't involve the use of technology and modern day luxuries. 
          
(Reference photo, page 35)

*     *     *

"... It is a repetiton which creates the periodic or rhythmic recurrence of spaces and events, the cosmic order." - John Brinckerhoff Jackson, A Sence of Place, a Sense of Time, page 32





          There is a specific and organic repetition that exists in this piece. It reflects the same repetition visible in prehistoric pueblo masonry, defined by a smooth surface rather than strength. There is an undeniable aesthetic quality to things that repeat and grow, even if it is unsustainable. But it is that same unsustainable attribute that draws us in and makes us feel even more curious about it's purpose. There is a particular picture on page 44 that I used as reference to this type of architecture, and each stone is a different size that still maintains smoothness.  

(Rerefence photo, page 44)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Printing in the Pandemic

BFA Progress: Week 13

          For this week, I re-photographed my littles beans and used Lightroom to tweak the lighting in most of them. I tried my best with help from my friend that has experience with it. I grouped them based on color and shape, as well as other characteristics.

Touch

    Stage 1: Clear Mindedness Stage 2: The Beginning Stage 3: Disillusionment          Touch, for me, has made a very big impact in my life. There has never been a defined line between pain and pleasure due to my past. When you feel as though you deserve the pain being inflicted upon you, it's likely that something isn't right. I've had to rediscover myself through the definition of touch because there are specific things that differentiate between "good" and "bad." As time has passed, I've learned what it means to be in pain, as well as being relieved of it.      When I was in the darkest part of my life, pain was something I felt I deserved. I had been forced into thinking that everything was my fault. I thought that he was demonstrating how much he cared whenever he put his hands on me. I didn't see it as a bad thing at the time -- just normal. Touch, at this time, was sharp; violent and difficult for me to wrap my head arou