Skip to main content

Smokers vs. Alcoholics




          The first photo (top) features a package of Marlboro cigarettes and a Juul pod: the “smokers.” The second photo (bottom) shows a shot glass of tequila and a slice of lime: the “alcoholics.” The teams are competing against each other. These photos can be interpreted as the competition between tobacco and alcohol sales in today's society. The market specifically targets young adults either entering or graduating college. In an economy where there are no restrictions prohibiting the advertisement of either substance to the public, it is expected that sales will skyrocket. Both are notoriously addictive and cause problems later on in life, such as liver disease, cancer, and in some cases, even death. Regardless of the warnings, college kids partake in leisurely activities that include these potentially hazardous substances. Cigarette smoking has been prevalent for years, but doctors have only recently understood the effects of tobacco smoking. When college kids drink to excess, they tend to crave the buzz achieved only from nicotine. This results in consistent chain smoking. With the rise of “vaping,” smoking products such as the Juul have taken the market by storm. The Juul is marketed as an “alternative for adult smokers.” The pods themselves contain the same nicotine as a pack of regular cigarettes—without the harsh tobacco. It’s seen as a safer way to achieve a buzz from nicotine, but there is little research to support this claim. Regardless of their “hand in hand” nature, tobacco and alcohol sales still actively compete with each other. Both substances take on an addictive quality when consumed in mass quantities, making it all the more dangerous for college students. Drinking offers an “escape from reality” if too much alcohol is ingested, whereas smoking cigarettes offers a temporary buzz that is often compared to a head high. Smoking socially won’t kill you and enjoying a drink with friends after work won’t give you alcohol poisoning; however, if done too frequently, both can result in an addiction so consuming that you only wish you could quit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Printing in the Pandemic

BFA Progress: Week 13

          For this week, I re-photographed my littles beans and used Lightroom to tweak the lighting in most of them. I tried my best with help from my friend that has experience with it. I grouped them based on color and shape, as well as other characteristics.

Touch

    Stage 1: Clear Mindedness Stage 2: The Beginning Stage 3: Disillusionment          Touch, for me, has made a very big impact in my life. There has never been a defined line between pain and pleasure due to my past. When you feel as though you deserve the pain being inflicted upon you, it's likely that something isn't right. I've had to rediscover myself through the definition of touch because there are specific things that differentiate between "good" and "bad." As time has passed, I've learned what it means to be in pain, as well as being relieved of it.      When I was in the darkest part of my life, pain was something I felt I deserved. I had been forced into thinking that everything was my fault. I thought that he was demonstrating how much he cared whenever he put his hands on me. I didn't see it as a bad thing at the time -- just normal. Touch, at this time, was sharp; violent and difficult for me to wrap my head arou